1. In this factory, suggestions often have to wait for months before they are fully _____.
[答案] D. considered
[注释] considered 考虑; admit 承认; absorb 吸收。
[注意]acknowledge 1) (=agree or admit the truth of; confess) 承认, 供认; A. He acknowledged his mistake. (他承认了他的错误。) B. 接动名词 He acknowledged having been beaten. (他承认被打败了。) 2) (express thanks for) 致谢; A. Mary acknowledged the gift with a pleasant letter. (玛丽致函感谢馈赠的礼物。) B. His long service with the company was acknowledged with a present. (向他赠送礼品以感谢他长期来对公司的服务。)
2. The boy slipped out of the room and headed for the swimming pool without his parents' _____.
[答案] C. consent
[注释] consent 同意, 赞成, 答应。conviction 深信, 确信。compromise 妥协, 折中。command 命令, 指令; 掌握, 运用能力。
3. Our research has focused on a drug which is so _____ as to be able to change brain chemistry.
A. powerful B. influential
C. monstrous D. vigorous
[答案] A. powerful
[注释] powerful (=having or producing great power) 强有力的。在这里四个形容词中, 只有powerful (有效力的) 可与表示药物的名词搭配。influential 有影响的, 有势力的, monstrous 异常大的, vigorous 精力旺盛的, 强健有力的。
4. The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
A. vanished B. abandoned
C. scattered D. rejected
[答案] B. abandoned
[注释] abandoned (=give up completely) 放弃, 抛弃; 1) The scientist abandoned his research for lack of fund. 2) The sailors abandoned the burning ship.
[注意]abandon 暗指某人对其所抛弃的人或物将会发生什么事情不感兴趣, 如把撞坏的汽车抛弃在路旁。vanish (=suddenly disappear; go out of existence) vi.消失, 绝迹; 1) The airplane vanished into the clouds.2) Many kinds of animals have vanished form the earth. (许多种类的动物以在地球上绝迹。) scatter (=send, go in different direction) 驱使, 使分散; The police scattered the crowed. (警察驱散人群。) (=throw or put in various directions) 撒, 到处放; He scattered his clothes all over the room. reject (=refuse to accept) 拒绝接受; She rejected my suggestion.
5. Henry's news report covering the conference was so _____ that nothing had been omitted.
[答案] C. comprehensive.
[注释] comprehensive 完全的无所不包的; comprehensible 能懂的, 可以理解的; understandable 可以理解的, 主要用来指人的行为。understanding 用来指人时, 表示"善于理解别人或别人问题的 (人) 。"注意下面的搭配：a comprehensive map (街区详图) ; a comprehensible remark (听得懂的话) ,an understandable mistake (可以理解的错误) ; an understanding friend (一位能理解人的朋友) 。
6. She was afraid that unless the train speeded up she would lose her _____ to Scotland.
A. ticket B. place
C. seat D. connection
[答案] D. connection
[注释] lose one's connection to 误了到......地方去的 (汽车、火车、轮船的) 联运; The train was late and I missed my connection.
7. The ship was _____ in a storm off Jamaica.
A. drowned B. sunk
C. wrecked D. submitted
[答案] C. wrecked
[注释] wreck vt. 撞坏, 毁坏; 1) My son wrecked my car. 2) My car was completely wrecked in the accident.
sink vt. 下沉, 沉没, 该动词也可作及物动词用, 意为“使下沉”, 但按本题句意看, 用被动语态不妥。 drown 溺死, 淹死： (vt.) He drowned his wife. (vi) He drowned in the river. (他在河里淹死了。) submit 1) (=put oneself under the control of another) 提交, 呈送 (to) ： Should a wife submit herself to her husband? (妻子应顺从他丈夫吗?) 2) (=put forward for option, discussion, decision ect.) 提出 (供评论、讨论决定等) You must submit your request to the committee. 3) (=surrender (to) , give in) 屈服,投降：After being defeated, they submitted to the enemy. (打败后, 他们向敌人投降了。)
8. No one has _____ been able to trace the author of the poem.
A. still B. yet C. already D. just
[答案] B. yet
[注释] yet 常用于现在完成时的否定句中, 意为“尚, 还”。
9. More than one-third of the Chinese in the United States live in California, _____ in San Francisco.
A. previously B. predominantly
C practically D. permanently
[答案] B. predominantly.
[注释] predominantly (=mostly; mainly) 主要地。 previously (=coming earlier in time or order) 先前, 早先; This is better than any solution previously. (这个办法比以前提出的任何解决办法都好。) practically (=really; in a practical way) 实际上。permanently (=going on for a long time) 永久地。
本题译文：在美国, 华人中有三分之一居住在加利福尼亚洲, 其中主要是在旧金山。
10. The new secretary has written a remarkably _____ report only in a few pages but with all the details.
A. concise B. clear
C. precise D. elaborate
[答案] A. concise.
[注释] concise (=brief; giving much information in few words) 简明扼要的：He gave a concise report of the meeting. (他对会议作了简明扼要的报道。) clear 清楚的。precise (=exact; correctly stated; free form error) 精确的, 明白无误的; Please tell me the precise measurements. (请告诉我精确的尺寸。) elaborate (=worked out with much care; carefully prepared) 精心制作的, 丰盛的：Peter worked out an elaborate scheme for raising the money. (彼得制定了一项详尽得计划来筹集着笔款项。) 孤立地看, 似乎4个形容词均能修饰report, 但从句子的逻辑关系看, 后半句中有only in a few pages but with all the details, 故concise 是最贴切的选择了。
11. The managing director took the _____ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
A. guilt B. charge
C. blame D. accusation
[答案] C. blame.
[注释]take the blame for 对......承担责任。Take charge of 负责管理 (照顾) 。[注意]charge 前无冠词the.
12. The worker agreed to _____ the strike if the company would satisfy their demands.
A. call for B. call forth
C. call off D. call up
[答案] C. call off [注释] 详见III,25,26注释。
13. I could just see a car in the distance, but I couldn't _____ what color it was.
A. look out B. make out
C. get across D. take after
[答案] B. make out
14. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet
C. finally D. accordingly
[答案] D. accordingly.
[注释]accordingly (=for that reason, therefore) 因此, 所以。
15. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn't like.
A. attempt B. trouble
C. power D. effort
[答案] D. effort.
[注释] effort (作可数名词用) (=vigorous attempt) 努力的尝试：Does it require a great effort of will to give up smoking? (戒烟需要坚强的毅力吗?)
16. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent
C. suppress D. ruin
[答案] A. extinguish.
[注释] extinguish (=put out) vt. 扑灭 (火焰等) 。Stop the fire虽然也可以搭配, 但按本句题意用extinguish为最佳。
17. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but
C. above all D. rather than
[答案] B. anything but.
[注释] anything but (=far from being) 根本不; The boys knew they bad broken the rules, and they were anything but happy when they were called to the office. (=They were unhappy and afraid.) nothing but 只不过; Don't have him for a friend; he's nothing but a criminal. (不要把他当朋友, 他只不过是个罪犯。) I have nothing but two dollars. (我只有2美元。) above all最重要的。rather than 而不是.
18. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off
C. written off D. picked up
[答案] C. written off. [注释] write off报废, 参看III, 200.注释; break off参看III.13.注释; take off参看III.170.注释; pick up参看III.130,129.注释。